Sunday, December 13, 2009

Curtis Kirk 1951 acetate



Curtis Kirk - "Down Texas Way" (unissued acetate)


This is the earliest known recording of Tyler singer Curtis Kirk (b. Feb. 15, 1929, in Grand Saline). Dating from 1951, or slightly earlier, "Down Texas Way" was a Jack Rhodes song that was recorded in drastically altered form by Hank Locklin for 4-Star Records -- with the songwriter credit going to Locklin. It's a mystery as to how or why this happened. Locklin could have bought the song from Rhodes -- such song-buying being typical for the day -- except that Rhodes very shrewdly guarded songs that he had anything to do with, and selling a song would have been unusual for him.

Kirk's original was recorded as a demo at the Burton Harris Studio (his house at that time) in Mount Pleasant, Tx. According to Harris: "I recorded many original songs during 1951, 1952, and 1953, mostly with Jack Rhodes from Mineola. Jack had come to me with about 150 songs, said he had never been able to do anything with them, and asked me to help him. We got musician friends to assist and I cut 22 of Jack's best songs. These were all done at our little house on Texas Street in Mount Pleasant. Vocals were done by Jimmy Johnson, Curtis Kirk, Betty Lou Spears, Freddie Franks, and Danny Brown. Bobby Garrett and Al Petty played steel guitars, Jimmy Johnson and I played lead guitars, Pee Wee Walker, fiddle, Jimmy McGuire and Doc Shelton, bass, Connie Frable, piano, and various others played rhythm guitar." (Burton Harris, The Way I Remember It, 1993)

"Down Texas Way" is an odd, rambling, no-holds-barred travelogue of Texas as seem through the cynical eyes of Jack Rhodes. As was typical for Rhodes, the wordplay here is pretty clever:

Coons, possums, and .45s
A rattlesnake beatin' out a solid jive


Rich man, poor man, beggerman, all --
You better shoot fast or not at all


Musically, the guitarist (Jimmy Johnson?) and steel guitarist seem to have been thinking of the song as a ranchera, or something...these are not exactly typical country chordings behind the vocals. The twin-guitar break is well done and reminds one of similar breaks on Lefty Frizzell's early sessions.

Jack Rhodes must have pitched the song to Hank Locklin, then based in Houston, who recognized its potential and recorded a far more commercial, piano-driven version in the Summer of 1951 at ACA in Houston. Locklin stripped the song of anything potentially controversial ("half-breeds" and "pickaninnies" were ousted), altered some lyrics, and threw out the above "rich man" couplet entirely, while retaining the hook line, "It should be the capitol of the USA." Locklin's is still a good record (hear it here), but I wish somebody had released Curtis Kirk's version, too.

Curtis Kirk died on January 2, 1985.

Thanks to Burton Harris.

9 comments:

  1. I have Curtis Kirk red vinyl; I Can't Take It With Me and The Little Things You Do. Unable to find much information about the worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no sound when one hits the play button.
    I would love to hear the song.

    A friend of Burton Harris

    ReplyDelete
  3. There seems to be a problem with DivShare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many memories of my Dad, Bob Milligan, working with Curtis Kirk in Tyler.. spending time with him & his family,the many TV programs & shows at the Rose Garden. Would love to find some of the old recordings of the TV shows for Daddy. He's retired now from playing music, but, music will always be a big part of his life as it will be for his kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spent a lot of time in Curtis's studio doing vocals and recording originals. He produced a bunch of stuff for me way back. Great guy who knew the business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curtis was one of those few who would not "piss on your leg" ! I knew the guy from a perspective unlike most others.
    A real Blues U guy. He took me in, a raw wanna be and taught me things i still use today. I had the privaledge of being in the shadow of some of tyler texas's most talented people. Working on some really good and really bad sessions. Ask robin brian how good curtis was at what he did. He will tell you the reason Curtis's studio could not compete was because of him. Even though Curtis seemed to prevail by pure need to finish his carreer on a good note. And to share his knowledge with those who wanted to be in that place. I will never forget the musical and life lessons I learned working daily with a guy who could put up with an asshloe like me. Always smiling, never upset, continuously trying to get the best out of what he had to work with. His publishing company holds some of my songs today. And i am proud to say i'm happy that is the case. Wish i could say to his face, thank you for giving me such a good lesson in crossing my legs on tv. Even if i did anything he did not agree with, he knew i was just being me.
    Really do miss him even 40 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, 29 years today since you left this old world. As I read over some of these comments, I am reminded at what a legacy you left and how BLESSED I was to have lived a short 15 years with you as my daddy. I carry a part of you in my soul, my voice, my patience, and my smile. Sure do miss you! Love you, TK

    ReplyDelete