Monday, August 24, 2009

L.M. Whatley, Jr. on Whatnot 101



L.M. Whatley, Jr. and the Whatnots - Dreams That Flow / One Love Is Not Enough For Two (Whatnot 101)

"Dreams That Flow"


"One Love Is Not Enough For Two"


The Whatnots sound like they're wading in the cool waters of the Starday custom series circa 1957. Therefore it was quite a surprise for me to discover that this record is actually timestamped 1964. Like Lee Rose, the Whatnots were a Northeast Texas country band who didn't give a rat's behind about the "Billboard Hot 100" or the latest trends in country music. Of course, that also helps explain why this record is about one copy away from non-existence.

"Dreams That Flow" was recorded at the Burton Harris Recording Studio in Mount Pleasant. The only thing that Burton remembered about the band was that they were from Pittsburg, Tx., which is about 12 miles south of Mt. Pleasant. It was pressed on their own "Whatnot" label by Rite (11929/11930).

4 comments:

  1. OMG....Ok, so I am just googling...is that a word....along trying to do some family ancestor stuff and I put in my daddy's name and the first link to pop up is this one. Wow, L.M. Whatley, Jr. is my daddy. I actually have 2 copies of this 45. Yes, we were all from Pittsburg. How did you find this 45 and the information. Do you have any pictures?? Waiting to hear....Debbie Whatley emery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, everything I know about the band is in the text above. I got the 45 from Burton Harris many years ago. I don't have any pictures of this group. Can you tell us more about your father? Was this his only record?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear from you. This was his only record but I know there are many tapes somewhere. My dad passed away in '97 and he and my mom where divorced, but he had remarried and his widow may know if the tapes are still around. My dad's brother was also in the group and my cousin might have a picture. I grew up listening to my daddy playing music. He was a great guitar player and singer. That's him singing on the record. He taught me how to play but I was never that good. My brother Brock Whatley is VERY good tho. He has been in many bands...his love is the Blues. I did contact a Mr. Hugh Blair from Mt. Pleasant because I think he played steel guitar on this record. He couldn't remember tho. I know he was in the band for a time. R.O. Holloway listed on the label has passed as well, but I don't know when. Is the Burton Harris studio still open? Well, it was so good to hear back from you and I am still amazed to hear my daddy on the internet!! WOW....I will keep in touch with any thing new I might run across...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, thanks for the additional info. No, Burton Harris's Studio closed in the 1980s. Let us know if you find out anything else!

    ReplyDelete